Re: XSL-FO Java API

Tim Meals wrote:
> Does anyone on the list have experience with various XSL-FO packages
> (Apache FOP, other commercial software) and their Java APIs?  I would
> like to access an XSL-FO document via an API tailored specifically to
> that format.  I'm thinking using DOM would be painful, as you'd have to
> parse the tree to pull apart the document.  Ideally, there should be a
> way to represent the FO document as a page, its attributes, and its
> content.

XSLFO is XML, and can be represented as DOM, or a SAX event
stream, or an unparsed charachter or binary stream.
The Apache FO processor allows you to use any of these for input.

I'm not sure what you mean by "represent the FO document as a page".
Layout and pagination are tasks of the FO processor. There is no
explicit page structure in a FO document, apart from explicit page
breaks and related constructs. There are Java libraries which
actually use pages and page content descriptions for generating
output, check out for example iText for generating PDF.

J.Pietschmann