Built-in templates for specific modes

The XSLT spec makes specific mention (section 5.8)
of the fact that there is a built-in template for
root and element nodes whether a mode is used
or not.

However it makes no mention of built-in rules for
text, attribute, comment or processing instruction
nodes when a mode is used.

By implication, by explicitly mentioning elements/root
but not these others, I assume there is no built-in
template in such cases.

Am I correct in assuming this?

My experience with MSXML would suggest it assumes
the built-in rules apply to text, attribute etc nodes
when a mode is used as well.

Assuming an XML document

<root>
  <element>Some text</element>
</root>

and a stylesheet template

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:apply-templates mode="dummy"/>
</xsl:template>

Should I expect to get anything out the other end?

MSXML says yes.

Any clarification appreciated.

Regards
Michael