RE: JAXP Saxon Extensions and Java Objects

> >There are various ways you can do this. Certainly, you can use the
> >[Saxon] setUserData() and getUserData() methods on the Controller
object to
> >pass data into extensions. ...
> >
> Yes, it looks like this will work nicely. We did a test just
> setting the
> objects as jaxp parameters as usual and the picking them up from the
> Controller object. However, it took be a few minutes to
> realize that the
> parameters stored in the controller are wrapped in Saxon classes of
> thier own. But once I caught on it was smooth sailing. One
> question, why
> are there "UserData" and "Parameters" in Saxon? What is "UserData"
> usually used for?

It was invented a long time ago as a place for non-XSLT Saxon
applications to store working data. Saxon is rarely used that way any
more, but the facility has survived, and is used by Saxon itself for
storing certain data, especially data kept by "memo" functions such as
<xsl:number> to avoid recomputing results repeatedly.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com