Re: Re: XInclude

Yes, of course one can implement Xinclude using the facilities
in XSLT. That is all well and good. However, if the W3C is
going to have a standard called xinclude you would expect tools
that process xml to at least provide the option of recognizing
it. In other words, I should be able to author a stylesheet
that transforms a document with out necessarily worrying if the
author of the document created a monolithic document or created
a document that xincludes sub-documents.

Now I know how to create a stylesheet that will work in both
cases. This is not my question or problem. My question is why
have a standard if something as ubiquitous as XSLT does not
recognize it for free?

---- On Thu, 30 May 2002, Joerg Heinicke
(joerg.heinicke@gmx.de) wrote:

> Sal Mangano wrote:
>  > Are xslt processors required to use XML parsers that
recognize and
>  > implement xinclude (http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude)? If
not, will they
>  > when it becomes an official recommendation of the W3C? Do
any processors
>  > recognize it already?
>  >
>  > By "recognize" I, of course, mean "implement" such that
the referenced
>  > document is merged into the including document.
>
> Again the question: Why should an XSLT-processor should
implement XInclude?
> XPath has a document()-function to work with different files.
For XInclude