RE: keys vs. parameters

> A typical strategy is that an XSLT processor will generate the key table
> on a particular document the first time you use the key() function with
> that as the context document. So it never builds indexes unless you
> actually use them.

Michael,

assuming that the key is in fact referenced do you have any opinion on the
original question: is there a significant performance difference between
passing the same data as parameters or referencing it via a key?  I'm
assuming the reference to the parameter data is pretty direct: Eg:

	<xsl:with-param name="gunk" select"data"/>

Then later:

	<xsl:value-of select="$gunk/anode"/>

In our case we have to pass the parameter data through a total of five
templates before it is finally consumed and the use of the key would be
mostly to simplify the coding of the stylesheet.