error, base pathname

XSLT warning: Fatal Error at (file , line 0, column 0): An exception
occured! Type:XMLPlatformException, Message:Could not determine base
pathname of the file (, line -1, column -1)

now, I use a document() call to bring in another XML file, I'm assuming the
error is related to the document() function. It only happens when I'm not in
the directory with all the files, so, how can I set that base pathname?