Re: Beginner picking up xml/xsl project

I have done that.

What I did:

I first created a servlet (inherits HttpServlet) which writes XML code instead of HTML code. Works with IE6.

I then thought that was no good, and tried SAXON (you can do the same with XALAN, it works the same) as a simple Java app which takes two filenames (XML and XSL files).

Seeing that it was nice, I created what I call an XMLServlet: a class that inherits HttpServlet and implements doGet and doPost, leaving a new set of doGet and doPost with different parameters as abstract.

public abstract void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, XmlServletResponse res);

As you see, very similar. I created XmlServletResponse to my needs (mainly I should be able to do res.getWriter() ).

And I simply changed my first servlet to inherit XMLServlet instead of HttpServlet and to get an XmlServletResponse as parameter instead of a HttpServletResponse.

I liked the idea, and modified XmlServletResponse to leave the output untouched for IE6 and transform it otherwise (getting less server load the more IE6 clients I get).

That allows me to:
- Debug the XML output by accessing it with an IE6.
- Debug the transform by accessing it with anything else.

I explained the idea. If you would like to use my code, I would have to ask permission to disclose it. Do not hesitate to contact me (better directly as when I have too many [xsl-list] messages I sometimes delete them without reading).

Yours,

Antonio Fiol Bonnín

Scott Purcell wrote:

Hello,
I have been given a task and I am looking for some helpful starting steps.
I have picked up a web-based project that has some content being created by reading a xml file into a stringbuffer, setting the content-type to text/xml and printing the stringbuffer to the printWriter out.

Inside the xml file there is a link to a stylesheet of type xsl (using a lot of XPath transformation stuff).

So the browser is doing all the work in presenting the display. The problem is this only works for IE Browsers. I do not like this approach, because the source is just xml, so it makes tracking of errors an issue.

Is there a way to have the server read the xml file which should include the xsl file and then throw that html to the browser?

I am new to xml/xsl. App is written as a servlet in Java.

Please advise of any directions.
Thanks,
Scott

.