Re: getting value of input to *.php

(Where's the XSL question in all of this?  More below...)

At 05:29 AM 6/18/2002, you wrote:
That looks something like what I want to do. Is there a way of structuring what you suggest so that:

> the result is like http:www.whatevrurl.com?page=15
^^
when I type into the text box and return, the value corresponds to the ^^ item only. All I want to do is use the textbox to change that last value. Also, When I hit return, nothing happens. There is no action whatsoever. What is wrong?
In PHP 4.1.x, use the global variable $_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"] to access everything after the "?" in the GET method of a posted URL. Alternatively, you can use the POST method (much better and doesn't run into data length limitations as quickly in browsers). When POSTing, the data will be stored in the receiving PHP page as the global array $_POST. For the above example, $_POST["page"] would be 15. Also, the form action would only be "http://www.whatevrurl.com/";. All in all, it might read

<form action="http://www.whatevrurl.com/"; method="post">
<input type="text" name="page" value="<?php

if (isset($_POST["page"]))
echo $_POST["page"];

?>" />
</form>

You also wrote:
> Hmmm, that might be the problem. I don't have any form
> element. I am very new to this and wasn't sure how to
> put it together.

Depending on what you're using to view the final HTML construct (after PHP is done), it may not work w/o the form element. I believe Netscape 4 ignored all input elements that did not belong to a form. I have not tested Netscape 6. I know IE always allowed it, even though it is very sloppy.

Greg Faron
Integre Technical Publishing Co.