<xsl:for-each select="$myvar">

I am trying to do the operation as described in the subject
line but am getting "Sablotron Error (48):
expression is not a node set".

The value of the variable is "item" which is the same as if
I used "<xsl:for-each select="item">" So why
doesnt this work?

What I had hoped to do with this is allow the user to
have control what is displayed in an XML file. For
instance with the XML file below I would like to display
only DEC machines, or only Compaq, or only IBM.

XML file sample...

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<collection>
        <intro>My Computer Collection</intro>
<item>
        <manufacturer>DEC</manufacturer>
        <model>MicroVAX 3100-30</model>
        <opsys>OpenVMS 5.5-2</opsys>
        <cpu>25MHz</cpu>
        <memory>unknown</memory>
        <enclosure>BA42-B</enclosure>
        <notes>none</notes>
</item>

<item>
        <manufacturer>DEC</manufacturer>
        <model>MicroVAX II</model>
        <opsys>OpenVMS 5.5-2</opsys>
        <cpu>KA630</cpu>
        <memory>unknown</memory>
        <enclosure>BA23 rackmount</enclosure>
        <notes>This is my first VAX which I hope to get running
        with OSU (=DECthreads)</notes>
</item>
 . . . . and so on...

By the way, I am not too sure the XML file is formatted very
well. This is just a test setup. Can anyone suggest a better way to
do it? I can't seem to see anything in the archives. I am
using php with Sablotron and doing this all on the server end.

Thank you,
--
Bill
Amsterdam, NL