Round trip: Binary -> XML -> Binary

I have an XML file which is derived from a binary data file. I wrote a custom parser which reads the binary file and outputs XML. The reason for the transform is to allow for storage of the file in an XML database such as Xindice or Tamino. This permits searches within the structure of the file, rather than just searches based on external attributes such as name, size, etc.

I would now like to be able to round-trip the file back to its original binary state. My thought is to use an output method of 'text' and emit base64-encoded data which can then be decoded by a base64 utility back to the original binary.

Is there a way to emit binary directly? I'm not aware of any but wanted to ask just in case.

Regards,
Brian