XSLT/SVG variables question

I'm not quite convinced of 'Assignment Considered
Harmful' (Kay, Chap 9) since I can't figure out how to solve my
XSLT/SVG problem without good ol' x=x+y constructs.

My general problem is to create SVG rectangles with text
inside (line numbers included for reference) using XML data and XSLT:

01
02   RectA1                  RectA2
03   +--------------+        +--------------+
04   | string-A1a   |        | string-A2a   |
05   | string-A1b   +--------+ string-A2b   |
06   | ...          |        | string-A2c   |
07   +------+-------+        | ...          |
08          |                +--------------+
09          |
10          |
11          |
12   RectB1 |
13   +------+-------+
14   | string-B1a   |
15   | string-B1b   |
16   | ...          |
17   +--------------+

My XML data generically look something like this:

        <BlockA>
        <string>string-A1a</string>
        <string>string-A1b</string>
        </BlockA>
        <BlockA>
        <string>string-A2a</string>
        <string>string-A2b</string>
        <string>string-A2c</string>
        </BlockA>
        <BlockB>
        <string>string-B1a</string>
        <string>string-B1b</string>
        </BlockB>

As the block chart is built, I need to account for arbitrary
number of strings per block and number of blocks.  "Normal"
variables would let me compute and increment SVG coordinates
for the rectangles and text.  But XSLT variables aren't normal!

If you have any suggestions about how I should track the
coordinates, or better yet an example, that would be helpful.

Thanks!
Harry Foxwell