Re: Repart generation with XSL Stylesheet

You could probably use custom taglibraries to apply stylesheets to your xml data at server side

-swati
-------Original Message-------

Date: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 14:58:11
Subject: Re: [xsl] Repart generation with XSL Stylesheet

Ranjith Kodikara wrote:

>We are developing a information selling system for a chamber of commerce and
>we want to generate reports for user requests. First we let users to select
>a query criteria. Then I hope to generate an xml document; which is a jsp
>file generated from the database, with xml content type. Then at the moment
>my idea is to generate an html document by parsing that xml file via an xsl
>stylesheet.

if you want the browser to transform the XML into HTML, then no problem.
If you want to do that server side, you'll be in a bit more trouble
because you're doing that in JSP.

>Do you think this method is suitable? Then can I write an xsl stylesheet
>with jsp.

What for?

>If I generate html's with xml files using Xalan , when users are generating
>reports doesnt the folder in the web server get filled with html files?

No, if you don't save them to disk. You just need to send the HTML to
the browser.

However, I insist that if you generate XML with your JSP and want to
transform the XML into HTML server side, you may have a hard time,
especially if you are a newbie to the JAXP API.

Tip: Generate the XML in a StringBuffer, but do not output it. Transform
it using whatever XSLT engine you like, and then output the HTML.

Otherwise, you can send your XML and XSL to the browser (use
<?xsl-stylesheet ...?>) and let the browser do the transform. This will
work with Mozilla and IE6.0 only.

Antonio Fiol