Re: Output one record at a time

first off you need to pass param into your transform ( each processor does
it different, check their doc )
for example with instant saxon your index is a matched pair after everything
else

saxon test.xml test.xsl index=1

                                   you see

<xsl:param/> is the instruction with which is how you get at it from within
your stylesheet.

so something like this

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
 <xsl:output method = "html" encoding="Windows-1252" />

 <xsl:param name="index" select="1"/>

 <xsl:template match="employees">

 <xsl:apply-templates select="employee[position()=$index]"/>

 </xsl:template>

 <xsl:template match="employee">

do some format output of employee record
like the name: <xsl:value-of select="name"/>

 </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

there are other ways of doing this, note that I have a default value for the
parameter, if you were 'actually' using it...you may want to have it like
<xsl:param name="index"/> ... but i always like a default value.

cheers, jim fuller