xslt spec - or condition

hi
I was going through the XSLT Spec and found the following line there

"chapter|appendix matches any chapter element and any appendix element"

what catches me is that the above line reads chapter and appendix

when i would have thot that '|' would be more close to 'or' than 'and'.
i thot it shud read chapter or appendix.

can somebody explain me what i am missing?
 thanks