RE: handling namespaces in advance Re: namespace required in transform

> I think your statement might be de-emphasising my main point,
> yes it is true that people misuse colons, and thats a side
> matter, and I agree that xslt/xpath or whatver will never be
> extended to handle anything other then well formed xml. The
> rest of the question is directed at the xslt list as a whole....

I'm sorry if I missed what your point was.

> I don't see why the actual syntatic construction of xml could
> not itself be abstracted( instead of angle brackets, why not
> slashes...etc ) and defined, a sorta schema for base/physical
> format; maybe this is a route of introducing binary xml....ok
> yes there are issues all over the place, just a thought.

This is precisely why XSLT and XPath define the data model as an
abstraction. You don't have to create the data model from a source XML
document, you can create it from anything. If you want to define a
format that is like XML except that the namespace declarations are
contained in the end tags, you are free to do so, so long as you can
parse it into the XPath data model. Whether it will catch on or not is
another matter...

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com