RE: Capturing/testing results of a boolean expression.

Well, the straight-forward answer is to define
the variable as a direct child of <xsl:stylesheet>
and use the select attribute to evaluate the expression.
Something like this:

version="1.0">

<xsl:variable name="globalVar" select=" (your expression here) "/>

It's really rather hard to tell what problem you are experiencing as
you don't offer any examples (I know, you want the general solution,
not a specfic one :)
Sara