Re: Implementing XPointer Resolution Withsaxon:evaluate()

Hi Eliot,

At 06:21 PM 8/13/2002, you wrote:
> Yet if they contain all the same information, using a node-set extension
> couldn't you query into them and find the further information you need to
> continue along your chain?

No--I need the *the same node*, not a copy of the node.

That is, an XPointer addresses a thing and I need the resolution of that
XPointer to return the thing, not a copy of the thing.

It's not about the information in the element, it's about the element
itself. For example, I must be able to navigate from the element
returned to its parent--I can't do this if what I get back is a copy of
the node.
Yes, this makes sense. Maybe I wasn't clear or complete enough in my question.

Cutting through, for example, if you had

<xsl:key match="*" use="generate-id()"/>

you could at any time get a node back given its generated ID as a key value. Admittedly this isn't much use if you don't have the node and therefore can't get its generated ID to look for it. (I guess in effect this is the knot you're trying to cut. The application of keys for node referencing assumes you know what values associated with a node, such as an attribute or whatever, will be referenced elsewhere and thus be useful as a key.) But if you did have that value in a node, it wouldn't matter if you called the key function with that node or a copy of it.

I guess I'm spinning around the same circle you are. :-)

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@mulberrytech.com
Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285