Re: generating formatted text output

> I have tried setting
> the indent attribute of <xsl:output> both to yes and no with no effect.

it only affects the xml and html output methods.

> The output has some sections that just run into each other instead
> of breaking and other lines have indented characters.  I have tried setting
> the indent attribute of <xsl:output> both to yes and no with no effect.

<xsl:template match="root">

Excerpts from this week's issue
Volume <xsl:value-of se

There the first node of the template is a text node with two newlines
and then some non white characters "Exc..." so in this case the entire
text node apears in the output.

<xsl:apply-templates select="document/title" />

<xsl:apply-templates select="document/section[@name='executive summary']" />

Here the text node between the two apply-template element nodes just
consists of a two newline characters, so is a white space text node
so stripped. To get a newline (or rather, two) here use
<xsl:text>&#10;&#10;</xsl:text>

David
(this is a FAQ)