selecting boolean from a choose.

I am interested setting a variable in my stylesheet to
contain a boolean value.  The value is set based on a
choose statement inside the variable declaration,
which looks for the existence or a particular node.  I
am only aware of being able to select text out of a
choose statement, via the use of <xsl:text/> or
<xsl:value-of/>.  Is there a way to select true() of
false().  Of course, I can use text values, such as 0
or 1, but I would like to use the built-in type if
possible.

<!-- code which will set the variable to the string
values of "true" or "false", not the booleans true()
or false() -->
<xsl:variable name="site-alert">
<xsl:choose>
	<xsl:when
test="/document/content-collection/site-alert"><xsl:value-of
select="true()"/></xsl:when>
	<xsl:otherwise><xsl:value-of
select="false()"/></xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>