RE: 8bit ascii encoding

Thanks for all the responses, I still haven't been able to resolve the
problem but at least Ive learnt a *lot* about encoding.

One theoretical question that would help:  If I choose utf-8 as my
output encoding, there will be no BOM and characters in the original
ascii range will be output exactly as if I had chosen ascii...? (0-127)

So in theory, any program that takes the output, copies it byte-for-byte
and adds some its own bytes in ascii, would maintain the original utf-8
encoding (therefore any program told to read it in utf-8 would be
successful).  Is this sound?

cheers
andrew

---