RE: tag minimisation

> well the serialiser doesn't see any markup at all, but it
> sees an empty
> node that looks exactly the same as a node that had been placed in the
> result tree by <div/>.

[snip]

> what the serialiser sees is some data in the Xpath data model that it
> has to write out using XML syntax. The only thing in the data model
> that corresponds to  <div></div> is an empty div node and that could
> just as easily have come from a literal "<div/>" in the stylesheet.

aaah, that explains it.  The serialiser has no concept of <a></a> or
<a/>, only that 'element <a> is empty'.

It then decides how to output that element to the result tree based on
the output method.

Now that I can see that clearly in my mind, I can understand what you
were getting at with the <br></br> issue, and why a 'minimisation
switch' isnt simply a case of saying 'dont minimise'... :)

cheers david, got there in the end.

andrew

---