RE: PDF to FO tool?

>      I have been earnestly trying to find a tool that converts a .PDF
file
>to .FO or some close approximation of that.

Lot's of stuff to look at, but this might be a start
http://www.exegenix.com/

>From their faq:
http://www.exegenix.com/technology/technology_faq.php#q5

"Q: What about presentation of the XML output? Does it automatically use
CSS/XSL also?
A: All formatting information in the source document is retained in the
XML output as XSL-FO and CSS compatible information, which can be
isolated from the output file by an XSL-Transformation script."