objdump contribution/development

J Grant 0013499@tay.ac.uk
Fri Apr 6 09:39:00 GMT 2001

Hello
I am an MSc research student and also a keep supporter/developer of
linux programs.

I have an idea for something I would like to contribute to the objdump
program part of binutils.

This is part of my planned research area.

---------------------
Developing Intelligent Techniques to Facilitate Source Code Recovery

There are several situations where this research would be the key to
saving substantial time.

· Recovery of lost program source code.
· Translation of a program from an obsolete language into usable source.
· Algorithm recovery.
---------------------

I was envisaging something along the lines of --disassemble-pseudo-c on
the option list.  I could build upon the --disassemble option and work
from there.

I had a look on the www.gnu.org site for the form I would need to fill
in to contribute to the project but could not find it. I read all the
information on code format and documentation etc

I have read many technical journal articles on this subject and believe
I have a enough ideas / techniques to write a very good
extension/program.

If people could advise me on what direction to take now it would be
appreciated. I could do my research/programming as a separate program
but then I would have to repeat stuff like the bfd etc.  I would much
rather my work was free for all to use in a GNU package.

Regards

Jonathan Grant