Re: Web page modifications ready for proofreading

----- Original Message -----
From: "Suhaib Siddiqi" <ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com>
To: "'Robert Collins'" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>; "Harold Hunt"
<huntharo@msu.edu>; <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 8:59 PM
Subject: RE: Web page modifications ready for proofreading

> > No. Imake should link with textmode or automode. binmode is when you
> > want binary files - ie fonts and bitmaps read correctly.
> > Rob
>
> X has tons of his own fonts and bitmaps in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> that is the reason I recoomend to developers use binary mounted
cygdrive and
> to user "use binary mounted cygdrive" so fonts and bitmaps file
> are read in correctly.
>
> Suhaib

I understand that - I faced the same issue with squid. Squid handles
1000's or millions of files (depending on cache size), all of which have
to be in binary mode or HTTP transfer lengths get corrupted. But the log
file and config file are text files and should be editable by windows
programs. It took me about 2 hours to convert every open and fopen to
specify the mode as O_TEXT or O_BINARY, and now squid runs on binary or
text mounted drives with no problems.

Fonts and bitmaps opened by programs linked with binmode.o, or opened
with O_BINARY will be read in byte for byte, no linefeed translation.
EVEN IF CYGWIN is using TEXT mounts.

Rob