Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 22

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 08:15:40AM -0400, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

>> But that has nothing to do with the cyg prefix. The name of
>> the dll itself is in fact not worth to discuss. The problem
>> is in using _any_ other libz library besides the libz which
>> is provided by the Cygwin base distro. Moving it to latest
>> wouldn't be a problem but I don't think that matters.
>>
>> What really matters are the problems which are raised by
>> providing another version of libz.a or libz.dll.a (note
>> the suffix) which load another {lib|cyg|red|foo}z.dll.
>
>That I agree.  When you start putting the commonly used DLLs (libraries)
>in /usr/lib, we will consider linking against it.
>As far as previous post from Joerg about libz.dll being used by
>MSDOS:  In fact if you compile libz with Microsoft or
>Borland compilers, it creates z.dll and z.lib (not libz.dll and libz.a).

If you use libz.dll.a to link your application it will find /usr/lib/cygz.dll .
This is standard behavior.

I'm Cc'ing Chuck Wilson since he is the maintainer of this package.

It makes no sense to have two different versions of the library
distributed with two packages that have the name "cygwin" attached to
them.

cgf