Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 22

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 05:55:19PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 07:40:21AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> >Just a lemma: end users are advised to use setup.exe to install cygwin.
> >
> >They do __not__ see contrib vs latest.
>
> Right.  Good point!  This whole contrib argument is really a non-issue
> in this light.

What's the point in having contrib then if it doesn't mean anything ?

Not everyone will use setup.exe.

> I also don't understand this talk about "forking".  Chuck has made a
> libz available from the original sources at info-zip.org.  This is by
> no means an XFree86 package.  It was developed by the author of gzip.
> It lives here:

I don't understand the forking issue either.

> http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/zlib/
>
> Chuck provided a generic port of the package for use with Cygwin.  IMO,
> this is what this project should be using.

I agree here. Any application should use operating system provided libraries
rather than building it's own. That was the original reason for the patch
to use cygwin's provided one. I only reversed it as the zlib for cygwin
was in contrib.

In light of cygipc too, which is really in contrib land, I suggest we
put it back. Especially being that the next XFree86 release is due very soon and
many more users will probably download the new Cygwin/XFree86. We have
a chance to correct the zlib situation.

It's a one off thing. Let's get it right now and suffer a few emails (and
put it in the FAQ), that people need to get the zlib from contrib to use
Cygwin/XFree86. We probably stand to get more questions on which cygz.dll or
libz.dll they should be using otherwise.

Are we expecting to build the next full release with cygipc ? If so, then
that should be made aware in the FAQ too.