Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 22

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 01:12:36AM +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:
>On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 05:55:19PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 07:40:21AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>> >Just a lemma: end users are advised to use setup.exe to install cygwin.
>> >
>> >They do __not__ see contrib vs latest.
>>
>> Right.  Good point!  This whole contrib argument is really a non-issue
>> in this light.
>
>What's the point in having contrib then if it doesn't mean anything ?

You can search the archives for the last time this was discussed.

>Not everyone will use setup.exe.

Then they get to make the tough decisions.  If they are not using setup.exe
and get an error that says "cygz.dll" is not installed then hopefully
they will be experienced enough to know what to do.

>> I also don't understand this talk about "forking".  Chuck has made a
>> libz available from the original sources at info-zip.org.  This is by
>> no means an XFree86 package.  It was developed by the author of gzip.
>> It lives here:
>>
>I don't understand the forking issue either.
>
>> http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/zlib/
>>
>> Chuck provided a generic port of the package for use with Cygwin.  IMO,
>> this is what this project should be using.
>>
>I agree here. Any application should use operating system provided libraries
>rather than building it's own. That was the original reason for the patch
>to use cygwin's provided one. I only reversed it as the zlib for cygwin
>was in contrib.
>
>In light of cygipc too, which is really in contrib land, I suggest we
>put it back. Especially being that the next XFree86 release is due very soon and
>many more users will probably download the new Cygwin/XFree86. We have
>a chance to correct the zlib situation.

cygipc is not part of the standard distribution.  It is maintained on an
external site and it will stay that way.

I'd love for someone to produce a port that we could include with the
distribution but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

>It's a one off thing. Let's get it right now and suffer a few emails (and
>put it in the FAQ), that people need to get the zlib from contrib to use
>Cygwin/XFree86. We probably stand to get more questions on which cygz.dll or
>libz.dll they should be using otherwise.
>
>Are we expecting to build the next full release with cygipc ? If so, then
>that should be made aware in the FAQ too.

I I really don't think that imposing external dependencies on
Cygwin/XFree86 is the way to go.  I am sure that Suhaib will agree.

cgf