RE: Is the XFree server down?

Are you referring to xfree86.org?

Yes, it has been down for several days.

Here is Google's cached version of the mirrors list for xfree86.org:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:0c179e426976ec84:www.xfree86.org/MIRROR
S.shtml+xfree86+mirrors&hl=en

You'll have to cut and paste both lines of that URL, as I'm sure that the
mailer software is going to line-wrap it...

Harold