Re: X and startx

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Harold Hunt wrote:

> I've seen some posts in the recent past complaining that the 'X' symlink in
> /usr/X11R6/bin/ points to some nonexistent file.  I've checked the 'X'
> symlink in my latest build from XFree86 and I find that 'X' points to
> 'XWin', which is correct.
>
> However, 'startx' fails to run because /usr/X11R6/bin/ is not in the path
> that Cygwin uses, so 'xinit' cannot be found.
>
> Regarding fixing 'startx', should we:
> 1) If possible, modify the generation of the 'startx' script to add
> /usr/X11R6/bin/ to the path.

Perhaps I have already expressed my opinion in which case I apologize
for the repetition but here is what I vote for: #1. There are several
reasons for this:

(i) it fixes the problem discussed in the e-mail
(ii) it fixes other X related problems such as enabling the programs to
     find libXpm.dll and other dlls contained therein.
(iii) adding /usr/X11R6/bin at the end of the PATH would not slow down
      the searching of executable files by any significant amount. If
      anything it will slow down file not found messages by an
      insignificant amount of time.
(iv) let's just choose the simplest solution that also works best.

Only my 2c and thanks,

-- Neil