rxvt and arrows

Hello,

When I use rxvt and press on the up arrow to invoke
the bash command line history mechanism the cursor
moves up one line instead. This is when I use rxvt
without running X. I do this when I want a larger
screen than the standard windows terminal emulator
but do not need to run any graphical applications
provided by X. How can I fix the arrow up problem?

Thanks,

Neil