Re: Copyright [cgf, please comment]

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 10:07:46AM +0200, Karl Philipp wrote:

>KPH> If you do not want to change the copyright notice, and RedHat
>KPH> does not allow
>KPH> me
>KPH> to keep your copyright as you posted I will delete those documents.
>KPH> Unfortunately I
>KPH> will have no choice.  Because when you use some commercial
>KPH> company server
>KPH> you
>KPH> sometimes have to follow their rules.  I did not make
>KPH> arrangements with you
>KPH> but anyone I grant CVS access I assume that things needs to be
>KPH> checked with
>KPH> me
>KPH> first.  There were certain guidelines were told to me by
>KPH> RedHat when they
>KPH> decided to
>KPH> host Cygwin/Xfree86 project and I need to follow those
>KPH> guidelins.  If you
>KPH> have objections
>KPH> to transfer copyright, which is fine for me. You have freedom
>KPH> not to do so,
>KPH> and
>KPH> RedHat has freedom to delete the artcile which does not confer to rules
>KPH> which I agreed
>KPH> when I was assigned project leadership.
>
>I'm willing to spend an own virtual server (including CGI-BIN, PHP4, MySQL),
>and if necessary an own second level domain *.org. attached at a 622MBit
>NACAMAR
>backbone.
>
>Or we can use SourceForge.Net for documents of this kind,

Jeez.  Would people stop mentioning sourceforge every time they think they
see some small problem???

I'm not going to be deleting anything.  There is no threat of my deleting
anything.  Red Hat does not care about the copyrights in this project.

*I* thought that the people who contributed documentation might conceivably
want to consolidate under one copyright.  I *thought* that having the name
of a large corporation on the copyright might forestall copyright violations.

This is NOT a situation where a big bad corporation is stepping in to squash
your interests.

To prove my goodwill, I withdraw my suggestion.  I suggest that you assign
everything to XFree86.  I really don't want to be bothered with this crap.

cgf