RE: makeflags, cross-compiling, and col

I have never compiled Xfree86 with a cross-compiler under Cygwin.
Therefore I do not guarantee my suggestions will work.  I am certain you
Will need to do a lot of hacking.

> How can I get rid of the --unix in Makeflags?  I'm trying to do make
> World and nested down in a bunch of the subdirectories, when
> make gets to this section of the Makefile,
>
> $(ONESUBDIR)/Makefile:
>         @for flag in ${MAKEFLAGS} ''; do \
>         case "$$flag" in *=*) ;; *[n]*) executeit="no";; esac; done; \
>         cd $(ONESUBDIR) && \
>         if [ "$$executeit" != "no" ]; then \
>         $(IMAKEPREFIX)$(IMAKE) -I$(IMAKEPREFIX)$(IRULESRC)
> $(IMAKE_DEFINES) -DTO
> PDIR=$(IMAKETOP) -DCURDIR=$(ONECURDIR)$(ONESUBDIR); \
>         fi;

this rule is in xc/config/xc/Imake.rules.

@MakeFlagsToShellFlags(n,executeit="no"); \                     @@\
 cd $(ONESUBDIR) && \                                            @@\
 if [ "$$executeit" != "no" ]; then \                            @@\

If you fix the Imake.rules file, your Makefiles should be generated without
--unix makeflags?

> it basically sees the --unix in MAKEFLAGS, sets executeit="no" and
> then doesn't run Imake to create the Makefile in each of the
> subdirectories.  I don't know enough about makefiles yet to know
> why, so here is one of my questions.
>
> What is the real intention of that?  Just ignoring that case statement
> lets the Makefiles get built, which is obviously the ultimate intention
> since if they didn't need to be built, doing a make World wouldn't
> choke with the statement that it couldn't find a rule to make clean in
> that subdir.

I do not know what is the real intention of that.  Perhaps Alan can shed
Light on it?

> I'm trying to build under cygwin, but I'm using a gcc cross-compiler
> targeting linux.
>
> My other problem (well, one of them) is that I was having a hard time
> convincing the Imake process to actually use the cross-compiler.
> I've seen the few examples, but I ended up just setting my cross-
> compiler as the default compiler and the few things that needed to
> be compiled native (like imake, makekeys, makestrs) I compiled
> separately and removed the compile references from the make
> process.  This seems to have worked, but it seems less clean than
> running a real multi-compiler environment and I'm not sure it is an
> adequate solution.  It also still throws up a number of dialog box
> errors in certain spots similar to what I get when I try to execute a
> linux program on my win2k machine from within bash.  I haven't
> figured out where it is yet, but it's right after it does a ranlib on some
> lib and then an rf -f on that same lib. Would I be better off using a
> true multi-cross-compiler environment?  And if so, how?  When I
> was doing it, it always pulled in the cygwin.cf file and what I really
> need is for it to pull in the linux.cf file (which it does in my hacked
> version)?

Under Cygwin it supposed to pickup cygwin.cf. I am not a cross-compiler
expert therefore I do not know what to tell you about ranlib etc errors.

> Lastly, it was also choking because it couldn't find the col utility
> which I don't find in cygwin but I do find in linux.  I managed to use
> a pair of jumper cables and arc around that issue, but I'd like to
> know what the proper way of handling this is.  Get the sources for
> col and recompile under native cygwin? (where?)  Patch in cat in
> place of col which is what it looks like is done for os2?

You will need to port col utility.  I am sure sources should be on Linux
SRMS CD.  Extract the SRPM file on a linux machine with rpm2cpio.  It
Should give you a *.tar.gz file, move it to your machine where Cygwin is
intsall, and port it to Cygwin.  You may ask Cygwin mailing list
cygwin@cygwin.com if someone has arleady ported it to Cygwin.

Suhaib