RE: Info on "Can't open display"

May be if you read the X11 socket and display basics here
 http://www.madisonlinux.org/minutes/X-presentation.html
you might understand more how an x client display on an x-server...
basically
in Xwindows world nothing works without TCP/IP.

X is a network protocol as much as anything. All X communications between
the X server and client programs is done through TCP/IP and sockets (even
locally). There is little to no distinction with regard to where a program
runs, and where the output is displayed.

So if something modify and conrols the network, then you will face a display
problem.

Suhaib