thread safe libs?

I have read through the archives, and I see that you say you were able to
get XFree to compile thread safe... I understand the Windows managers will
fail, but I am more interested in having the libraries being thread
safe.  If I compile Xfree as thread safe, should it work for me?  Is it
easy to accomplish?  Do I just add something like THREAD_SAFE to the config
file?

Thanks,
Brian