Command history problem?

Hi,

Just like in a 'normal' bash shell, I can scroll up and down in my
command history with the arrow keys (with the current CygWin setup,
running on NT, using the normal command window on NT, not rxvt or
anything else.)

But, if I make the mistake of hitting the up-arrow key _while a command
is executing_, when the command finishes, the system thrashes the hard
drive for about 20 seconds to a minute, before finally dumping some
control characters on the prompt line. Only then do I get my system back.
(And I have, of course, tried to hit Control-C, etc, which probably only
makes things worse in this case.)

Does anybody know what causes this? It's terribly frustrating, since I'm
the type who executes command A, then command B, then command C, then A
again..., and so I frequently have to sit there as my computer turns
temporarily into an expensive paper-weight.

thanks for any ideas,
Dan

Daniel Herron             Universitaet Hamburg / Fachbereich Informatik
phone: (49) 40 / 428 83 2519           AB Natuerlichsprachliche Systeme
fax:   (49) 40 / 428 83 2515                     Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
herron@informatik.uni-hamburg.de                        D-22527 Hamburg