Re: Building native tools using cross tools

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Pascal Vittone wrote:

>     Hi!
>
>     We are newbie with Cygwin and GNU tools. We try to build native b20.1 tools
> on Sun Solaris 2.5.1 and we have a problem when we configure the environment. We
> use the instructions from Mumit Khan. I join a file with the traces of the
> configuration. The failure is due to a bad number of ' characters. I tested the
> failing line on an other flavor of UNIX and the behavior was the same. Does
> someone make such a build ?

Here I'm going to assume that you're using the B20.1 dev-src.tar.bz2 from
Cygnus ftp site, and not some other Cygnus distribution (such as 98r2).

I've built the B20.1 toolchain on Linux lib5 and glibc2, and SPARC Solaris
2.5.1 without any problems that I can remember. The only issue that I
remember is that I had to use GNU make and not Sun's make.

I'm assuming that you built the cross tool successfully, which means that
your make is compatible, but you never know.

You can try the following simple experiment:

  $ CONFIG_SHELL=bash ../src/configure [rest of options]
  $ gmake

if you use csh/tcsh, use the appropriate syntax to set the CONFIG_SHELL
environment variable.

If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss here.

BTW I recommend that you use i586-cygwin32 as the name instead
of i586-pc-cygwin32 (there is a subtle issue when looking up certain
include files which is solved in egcs-1.2, next major egcs release).

Regards,
Mumit