Re: info: dir: No such file or directory

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, R. Hickling wrote:

> When I type 'info <anything>' I just get
>
> info: dir: No such file or directory
>
> Do I need an environment variable or something?

Info needs a directory to look up the various info pages installed and to
give you a choice. I'm attaching a info dir file which you can put in
one of the standard places where info searches for dir (or use INFOPATH
environment variable or use ``--directory <DIR>'' argument):

  /usr/local/info
  /usr/info
  /usr/local/lib/info
  /usr/lib/info
  /usr/local/gnu/info
  /usr/local/gnu/lib/info
  /usr/gnu/info
  /usr/gnu/lib/info
  /opt/gnu/info
  /usr/share/info
  /usr/share/lib/info
  /usr/local/share/info
  /usr/local/share/lib/info
  /usr/gnu/lib/emacs/info
  /usr/local/gnu/lib/emacs/info
  /usr/local/lib/emacs/info
  /usr/local/emacs/info
  .

You'll need to uncompress the dir.gz before putting it in one of the
above directories (gunzip -v dir.gz).

http://www.delorie.com/ for on-line docs of GNU programs such as info.

Regards,
Mumit