Re: malloc and free mixing in VC++ and cygwin

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Jonathan Pryor wrote:

> However, that doesn't mean that you can't have one environment
> allocate memory, and have the other free it -- you just can't
> use the C runtime functions.

This is the key issue -- Cannot use C runtime functions from *both*
the runtime libraries, just use one or the other. This goes for
more than just the memory (de)allocation routines.

> The Win32 functions CoTaskMemAlloc() and CoTaskMemFree() can
> be used to allocate/free memory between 2 otherwise incompatible
> memory schemes.  I suspect that most of the other Win32 memory
> functions (GlobalAlloc/GlobalFree, etc.) could also be used
> to do this as well.

My experience as well. As long as you stick to Win32 API, you're
completely safe.

Regards,
Mumit