Re: Building cygwin32_ipc-1.03 for v1.0 - questions about v1

--- Doug Wyatt <dwyatt@sunflower.com> wrote:
-8<-

> The thing about coexistence of v1 and a development tree is that I'd like to
> keep them completely separate, rather than intermingled.  I consider v1 as
> my stable release, for now.  I'd like a wholly separate directory tree for
> gcc 2.95.2, and for playing around with things that might break something.
> You're right, I can probably play around with the PATH to do most of what
> I looking for.  I did check to see if the symlinks allowed embedded $VAR
> references, and they apparently don't.
>
> It just seemed that more flexible use of the registry would open up
> possibilities.

Doug,

I do this now.  With a directory structure something like:

/root/
     +v1/
        +(cd distribution)
     +v1-gcc.2.95.2/
                   +(copy the cd distribution and replace the pieces)

Now you can add to the cygnus.bat file

sh -c 'cd /usr/bin && ./umount / && ./mount c:\\root\v1 /' in one directory and

sh -c 'cd /usr/bin && ./umount / && ./mount c:\\root\\v1-gcc.2.95.2 /' in the
other.

Create shortcuts to the bat files and make sure that you start in the
appropriate directory.  And, obviously you can't use both trees at the same
time.  If you feel that copying everything is overkill then simply supply
logical links to what you don't want to copy.

BTW, as far as the distributed filesystem on the V1 CD, it's a lot better than
it was for previously released betas.  Personally I prefer a /install directory
into which each contributed package , even different versions of the package,
goes and logical links in the /usr/local/bin directory or even the /opt/bin directory.

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
Cygwin Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>