Re: Problem URGENT with the argument F_SETOWN in the function fcntl

Corinna Vinschen <corinna@vinschen.de> writes:

> F_SETOWN is in no way supported by Win32 so it's not possible to
> implement it. Nevertheless it's defined by POSIX, so it's part of
> the header. Maybe, it should be erased there...

As far as I know, F_SETOWN is a BSD thing, and not in the POSIX specs
(I have the older one, don't know if the newest one has it). POSIX
has asynchronous I/O (aio_*), so these BSD features are not really
needed. Of course, quite a few of the so called POSIX systems do not
yet support POSIX asynchronous I/O.

Here's some info from one of the Linux docs:

  Only the operations F_DUPFD,  F_GETFD,  F_SETFD,  F_GETFL,  F_SETFL,
  F_GETLK, F_SETLK  and  F_SETLKW  are specified in POSIX.1; F_GETOWN
  and F_SETOWN are BSDisms not supported in SVr4.

For now, I agree with Corinna's workaround, but we need a better fix,
and my opinion is to get rid of the macro to avoid configure scripts
from guessing incorrectly. Then we can code is with:

  #ifdef F_SETOWN
    fcntl (...);
  #endif

Regards,