RE: bash window timeout?

The environment var TMOUT is probably set with a value >0 on your system.
From bash manpage (section "Shell Variables"):

       TMOUT  If  set  to a value greater than zero, the value is
              interpreted as the number of seconds  to  wait  for
              input  after issuing the primary prompt.  Bash ter
              minates after waiting for that number of seconds if
              input does not arrive.

HTH,

Andre
--