Change color of bold text attribute for cygwin terminal

This seems it should be simple but I can't find a way to do it.

I'm running a very current cygwin on MSW2K.

The bold text in less is a very unreadable color the way I have things set
up. I have my window set to a very pleasant light color background and the
bold text in less (man etc.) is white.

It seems that less uses termcap and my the terminal type is cygwin. But try
as I might I cannot figure out how to change the colors.

It seems to me that it ought to be very easy to set the colors for the
cygwin terminal (or console, or whatever). Is there a configuration file
which specifies which color is used for which text display attribute? Or is
the escape sequence to set the bold attribute actually setting a color? Are
the attribute colors specified in the source somewhere? How does it work?

Richard Kandarian
http://www.lanl.gov/cgi-bin/fonelink.pl/085598

Any opinions stated in this message are mine and not expressed on behalf of
any other individual or entity unless explicitly noted otherwise. As for
the links at the very end, my opinion is that they are interesting.

UNIX is software. M$ Windows is hardware implemented in software.

When M$ says 'embrace and extend', what does that bring to mind?
A huge boa constrictor?

Save the world from M$ tyranny - embrace and extend LINUX before M$ does.

http://www.fourmilab.to/documents/top10.html
http://www.prospect.org/print/V11/16/ackerman-b.html
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2000/12/fallows.htm