Re: Sparse file criteria malfunction - binutils produces sparse .exe & .dll files

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:48:39AM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> Wait, no, *100%* of Cygwin users on NTFS are negatively
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^
                                               ??????????

I'm also on NTFS and I don't suffer, especially after the latest change.

> Yes, now it'll be only if you write past the end of the file.  Which apparently
> binutils does.  Well, that's something I guess.

Why does everybody fail to evidence?

I'm having a lot of projects on my XP/NTFS system since I'm a developer
developing for Cygwin.   I'm running the latest DLL from CVS.

Guess what?

I didn't see any proof that ld or strip create sparse files.  All *.a, *.o
and *.exe files take as much blocks as to be expected by non-sparse files.

> Let the not-so-passive-aggressive semi-namecalling begin (I suggest "Assistant
> Adjutant General Complainer JG").  But tell me where I'm wrong first.

You're argumenting without proof.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.