openssl commandline tools always output in text mode

Heyho,

openssl's commandline tools always output in text mode, no matter what your mount type is, be it binary or text.

Is this a bug or a feature? ;o)

I wonder whether I can convince openssl to generate its output according to my mount type, which is binary for me. Currently I postprocess openssl's output with a small perl filter to get rid of the superfluous CRs. But this is suboptimal, as I have to remove this filter once I want to run my scripts on a real unix OS.

Can anybody help?

$ openssl smime -decrypt -in msg.body -recip recipient.crt -inkey recipient.key -out testit.out

$ cat -A testit.out
^M$
test decryption^M$
^M$