Re: Swapping CTRL & CAPS

Karr, David wrote:

Go to http://www.sysinternals.com and get the "Ctrl2Cap" tool.

That one installs a DLL (kernel driver that intercepts keypresses) to do the keymapping, and is an excellent introduction to driver writing for NT.

It's also possible to do this less invasively with a simple registry tweak. See http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq3.html#capscontrol - the "NT 4.0" subsection works on NT, Win2K and WinXP.

I use the "caps-as-ctrl.reg" registry hack variant, which maps CapsLock to Control, but leaves the real control keys alone. The caps-ctrl-swap.reg variant swaps the capslock and left control keys, if you really want a caps lock.

Both are trivial to install, and are utterly safe (I've been using it on all 3 OSes above, and every SP for each of them), though they need a reboot to take effect (as does the kernel driver above, by the way).

The nice thing about the registry hack above is that undoing it is as simple as deleting that registry entry (value).
--
Shankar.