Re: Question about Cygwin License

Cary Lewis wrote:

I want to use cygwin with a proprietary system.

As I do not want to publish my source code, I know I need a "breakout"
license from RedHat.

I am not changing cygwin, I am simply using the cygwin.dll to get a Unix based system to run under Windows.

Has anyone purchased a breakout license?

I was told today that the cost was $50,000.00 USD for a 3 year license.

Does that sound right?

It seems unbelievably high to me, considering that MKS has a very similar
product at only $5,000.00 (which includes 50 run time
Licenses)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Seems simple to me.  If your usage would violate the GPL, you need
an alternative.  If you don't like the alternative, you can attempt to
negotiate with Red Hat.  Otherwise, if you feel there are alternatives
that are better for you, go with them.  I guess I don't see the problem.

Holliston, MA 01746