Re: unable to autologin to 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 03:20:30PM -0700, Bruce Dobrin wrote:
> I hope this isn't a stupid question.  I configure cygwin with a script which
> installs all passwd,  hosts.equiv, inetd etc.....  I have hundreds of
> machines configured this way on which all is well.  I just installed 2003
> server,  cygwin, and ran the autoconfig script.  I am unable to rsh to this
> machine.  I get:
>
> dobrin@srdalien2:/home/dobrin> rlogin srdalien2
> Switching to user dobrin failed!
> rlogin: connection closed.
>
> or
>
> dobrin@srdalien2:/home/dobrin> rlogin srdalien2 -l dobrin
> Switching to user dobrin failed!
> rlogin: connection closed.
>

> cygwin settingis :
> dobrin@srdalien2:/home/dobrin> echo $CYGWIN
> binmode tty ntsec
>
> Is there a known 2003 server issue,  I searched the mailing lists pretty
> carefully,  but sisn't turn up anything.
>
> telnet and non interactive rsh (rather than  rlogin),  work fine.
>

> Bruce Dobrin
> dobrin@imageworks.com

There is evidence that password-less logins (as well as exim) fail
on Windows 2003 because the SYSTEM account is lacking the CreateToken
privilege and can't setuid(). I don't know if/how that privilege can be
added, can you investigate?

A workaround (reported to work) is to create a new privileged account and
to run the daemons under that account (-u switch in cygrunsrv).
The new account (you could call it Root) should
1) be in the Administrators group
2) have the Login As A Service privilege
3)   "      Create Token       "
4)   "      Assign Token       "
5)   "      Increase Quota     "    (if it exists on your system. Does it?).
In addition by being Administrators it should also have the Backup and
Restore Files privileges. If not, assign them explicitly.
Rebuild /etc/passwd after creating such an account.

Pierre