Re: Complaint Received (Tracking ID: 1272411) (fwd)

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> > I just got this in my inbox. I did not sumbit this report (why would I)
> > and am guessing one of the subscribers did so, or the original poster.
> > I'm not to sure what to do about this.. ?
> Perhaps the original poster (or one of the subscribers of the
> cygwin-proper list, but that's less likely) works for this Level3 thingy
> and inadvertantly forwarded the message..

Well, having recieved another five of these bloody things in the last hour I'm
more inclined to think that I'm not too popular here. ;-)

> I'd have a look at the mail headers to see if there's something in there
> (but you probably already did that) and perhaps send a message to Level3
> asking for explanations (but you probably already did that too).

Yep, already did that. No luck.

> It is odd, though, that there seem to be robots subscribed to this list -
> I sometimes get bounce/auto-reply messages when sending mail to this list,
> though I think the mailing list software should be taking care of that
> already. As my spam filter filters them out before sorting my mail, those
> mails end up in my "postmaster" box sothey don't bother me here, but
> perhaps one of those "mailing list verify" messages some other lists (like
> gpg or djgpp) send from time to time would be a good idea here..

It's easy if you want to annoy people in this manner. All you have to do is
subscribe a mailing-list address and then anyone on the subscribers list (who
will receive the mail) can just OK it.

> Ah well..
>
> Anyway, Elfyn, *please* don't let it discourage you from replying to
> cygwin list messages - you reply to a lot of them and your answers are
> (very) often *very* informative. (Same goes for Igor, Larry, Corinna,
> Chris, and various others)

Thanks! That's certainly reassuring.

Elfyn

--