Re: development under 1.5.0 ?s

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Brian Ford wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Brian Ford wrote:
> >
> > > Could Corinna, or someone else knowledgeable, help me clear up some
> > > issues with respect to development under 1.5.0?  If I should just
> > > wait for the (forth coming?) posting to cygwin-apps, just say so.
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Is it true that I should not recompile anything under 1.5.0 unless
> > > all the dlls it uses have been recompiled first under same?  If not all,
> > > how do I identify the subset?
> >
> > Anything using a datatype that has changed size from 1.3.22 to 1.5.0 in
> > its export list is unsafe.  Identifying the exact DLLs will require
> > looking closely at their export lists (or asking the package maintainers).
> >
> Yeah, that's what I thought.  I was hopping we might have figured out an
> easy way to do this by now, though.  Oh, well.  I'll figure it out myself.
>
> One reason I ask is that I am the unofficial lesstif maintainer, and I
> need to figure out when it is safe to build the new lesstif libs.

If you use no other DLLs, you can simply recompile the lesstif DLLs and
release them in a test package.  Otherwise, check the prototypes of the
functions your DLLs call to see if they contain any of the changed
datatypes (see Chris's reply), perhaps recursively in structs.  If not,
you can use them.

> [snip]
> > > Is it safe to use 1.3.22 headers with a 1.5.0 dll (I think so)?
> > > Obviously the converse is not true.
> >
> > Your statement isn't either.  All the structure sizes/offsets would have
> > changed, so you can't use older headers with the newer DLL.
> >
> I don't think that's really true.  If so, then all the old 1.3.22 apps
> wouldn't work with 1.5.0.  Wasn't that what Corinna so carefully
> engineered?

Oops, sorry, I thought you were talking about 1.5.0 libcygwin.a.
Corinna's reply is the ultimate authority on that, anyway.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu