Re: configure and mmap on Cygwin

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 05:39:22PM -0300, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> I noticed configure always return
>
> checking for working mmap... no

Yeah, that's unfortunate.  I'm seeing the same all the time.

> I found the following posts from Corinna
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-04/msg00412.html
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf-patches/2000-10/msg00241.html
>
> The question is if I should just ignore this test or add
> #define HAVE_MMAP 1 to config.h before make.

It depends.  The Cygwin mmap implementation should work in 99% of the
cases.  There's one case which will never work:

   mem = malloc(sizeof(blah));
   mmap (mem, ..., MAP_FIXED, ...);

since Windows doesn't support memory maps on already allocated memory.
If your application does this (not many today), you're out of luck.
Otherwise you should be fine using mmap.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.